What does community mean? It can be defined as a group of people who live in the same physical location, like Duluth. It can also mean a group of people who share common interests. For example, perusing a local events calendar, I saw an announcement for a dulcimer jam session, which brings together folks who admire the uniquely shaped stringed instruments. Come to find out, Duluth has a flourishing dulcimer scene.
Duluth is made up of many passionate people who come together around their shared interest in a particular subject or practice. I was struck when our family moved to Duluth years ago by how quickly it felt like home. One of the reasons was how easy it was to find events, clubs, organizations, and businesses of interest.
For instance, I weave. With the help of Google, I found the Duluth Fiber Handcrafters Guild, with a full weaving studio. Here I have met the most supportive and knowledgeable weavers who inspire me to create as well as several whom I now consider close friends.
Indeed, community groups are where we form friendships and connections that enrich our lives, as well expand our skills. Finding a community of people with a shared passion deepens our sense of place and helps us feel we belong.
What's Your Passion?
Chances are you’ll find like-minded folks with which to connect, interact, share, and help in Duluth. Here are a few examples.
- New parent? Hike It Baby Duluth offers family-friendly group hikes in Duluth’s many parks and green spaces.
- Play a musical instrument? Make music with the Duluth Civic Orchestra or the Duluth Symphonic Winds Community Band.
- Like to surf? Get local wave reports at Stoney Point Surf Spot’s Facebook page and meet your peeps on Lake Superior.
- Enjoy tying flies? The Great Lakes Fly Shop holds a monthly Beer n’ Bugs fly-tying event that is open to the public.
- Is paddling your passion? Join the Dragon boat club and build team spirit on a 43-foot boat.
- Hooked on fiber arts? Find friends at the Lake Superior Modern Quilt Guild or hang out at local yarn shop, Yarn Harbor.
- Creative at heart? Write yourself home with groups such as the Lake Superior Writers or Polaris Poets.
- Call yourself an aero modeler? Fly planes with the Duluth/Superior Radio Controlled Model Airplane Club.
- Interested in studying Buddhist mediation? Check out the Bodhicitta Sangha–Duluth mediation center.
The list goes on and on.
Duluth is a vibrant community with groups of people who follow their passion, whatever it may be. Make Duluth your destination for life and find your people here.
--- Kristina Bourne and her family meet the most interesting and passionate people while hiking on local trails, volunteering with community groups, and simply walking around downtown. She writes about these encounters and more on her family outdoor blog, Outside In Duluth.